Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring Break--Day 1

Last Tuesday, we started our Spring Break road trip. We didn't want to fuss over the details, but most days had a basic outline of events. Warning: I tend to babble. Please move to your next friend's blogpage immediately if you start feeling sleepy and/or restless while browsing this page.

At noon we landed in Solvang. It is a quaint, Scandinavian village about 2 hours North of home. We wanted to see it mainly because of my mom's Danish heritage. The shops and restaurants are so cute. I thought the fun details on the outside of these structures were home-y....the kids said it reminded them of Disneyland. I didn't even try to explain how backward they got it.
After eating the danish sausages and aebleskivers (yum), we drove farther North to San Simeon. Although the amazing Hearst Castle is nearby, we used our valuable time more wisely at the Elephant Seal beach. Where have the seals gone? We were disappointed by the small group of seals. Nevertheless, we had the obligatory few lounging around for their photo ops.

The ride up Hwy 1 is not James' idea of fun (too winding). Brielle was very unsettled by the steep cliffs overlooking the edge of the world (to her). I thought it was all heavenly. Monica clicked away with the camera. Amanda read her books voraciously. Jenna was doing her job being cute.

We found a little hotel in Monterey Bay, then feasted on Panda Express. Ugh. How ironic that we would plan to have Chinese Food the next night in world-famous Chinatown in San Francisco!


Lets not forget our favorite accessory on our trip...the DVD player!! This little gem is what makes or breaks those long, boring stretches of road. I get to nap because James isn't threatening lives in the back seats. If there is unrest in the back seats, I don't get my nap and then no one is happy. I luv you, DVD player!!

7 comments:

Audrey said...

We missed you while you were gone. Solvang is a favorite little jaunt we did once and those aebleskivers are mana from heaven. I love your picture of the seal! He looks so soft. I can now use your blog as the "The Green family's guide to California road trips."

Kari said...

Thank you for posting photos! What a great trip--the seals are fun, even if you didn't see thousands or whatever it's "supposed" to be. We have not been to Solvang; your description may be the only one we get!

Marilee said...

Did you see the llama farms on your way to Solvang? We have one right down the road from us, weird huh?

One of our regrets is not taking our family to Hearst Castle, so promise that you will do it before you move out of Califoria.

Chinatown? I love Chinatown. I remember going there as a little girl with my mom and sister(twin). I love those slippers with the place for your toes.

I would like more pictures and posts of your California Easter Vacation please!!!

Andrea said...

I'm so jealous

mama jo said...

sounds like a great trip...i love all of those places..it's such a beautiful drive...we drove hwy 1 once, but unfortunately it was foggy from san fran to about cambria...

Cindy Price said...

Yeah, for the Central Coast!! It is indeed beautiful isn't it? What a wonderful trip for your family!!

You past my house!! You are welcome anytime. I would love to meet you and your wonderful family and so would Evan!!!

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

oh yes...for those of you who don't know Cindy, she actually gets to see these views every day! Lucky, lucky girl!