Friday, April 18, 2008

I'm an aide...


For those who don't know where I'm at between the hours of 11:30 - 2:35 each day, I'm at school. At an elementary school in a Special Day Class for autistic kids K-2. I've been with this job since Nov. 07.

I admit, I didn't seek a job with special needs kids because I love working with them. I needed a job to supplement income since the sticker shock of 2 sets of braces last summer in our home.

Since I started with these little ones, I now have to say, "Why didn't anyone tell me sooner that I have been missing out on a job with a perfect fit for me?"

I could have made a lot of money being an aide for such a long time. Or maybe have some awesome health benefits that we seem to lack as James is considered a small-business owner.

Now I won't go on and on here about my daily happenings at school. I actually have visions of a very fun blog-read if I collaborated all of my other aides' and the teachers' experiences. You would have to laugh at what we deal with! I have flash-backs to the days I used to watch Cops late at night. The video camera was VERY telling! (...what if a video camera person were to follow me and the other aides around the campus?)

Besides, I signed a confidentiality contract. Bummer.

I never knew Autism had an awareness month til now. I just thought I'd do my part. If you want to know more from a mother's point of view, go here. Our little Marshall is a wonderful ambassador for his ASD friends. Thanks for telling it like it is, Aprilyn!
Lastly, one of the first things I remember learning about autism is Dustin Hoffman's character in Rainman. I thought then, as I do now, that these 'kids' are just Super Heroes. They appear a little 'different' from the outside....but watch out, because suddenly the kindergarten child will spell humongous words--correctly. Or the 2nd grader will recite all the 50 states in alphabetical order. Or the 1st grader will give you all 12 months of the year...in French and then Spanish. The list goes on...

6 comments:

Audrey said...

You are the perfect angel sent to those kids. I love to hear about your days because gives me perspective about Grace, and we can smile about them.

Kelli Radmall said...

That's great that you are working as a special ed aide. Did you know that's what I did last year from Aug-Dec? I loved it! I got to work with small groups and one on one. I got to help plan and implement but I didn't have all of the pressure of being the teacher! It is a really rewarding job. Congrats, I'm sure you are WONDERFUL. Isn't that funny about Aprilyn being in our ward? Small world.

Kari said...

You are a perfect person for such a job! Thanks for sharing what you can about it!

mama jo said...

i'm sure you are fantastic...it's wonderful to have such caring people...my neice has a child with autism and i know she would be so happy if you were her childs aid..

Marilee said...

What a nice post Susan! Thank you for posting about autism. Look at my blog and you will see why!

Cindy Price said...

Thank you for helping special children!! I'm sure you do a wonderful job. I appreciate how sweet you have been to Evan!!