Tuesday, October 21, 2008

California's (and the world's) big problem


Okay. If you have a hard time trusting politicians like I do, then you can skip this post because it really only matters to us Californians.

Or does it?

I think the rest of the country needs to be focused on the Prop 8 situation.

I happen to be a big fan of traditional marriage. I just ask that the definition of marriage strictly be the union of a man and woman.

That is all!



Here is a blurb that I didn't write, but feel like I did. I'm so dissapointed in the judges that overturned the original majority vote against gay marriage in 2000.




Please vote YES on Proposition 8: “Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” Over 61% of Californians already voted in 2000 to reaffirm the traditional definition of marriage as only between a man and a woman with Prop 22. It is unfair that four activist judges, in a 4 - 3 decision, ignored the will of the people. Thankfully we have the opportunity to vote yes again to marriage between a man and a woman. Prop 8 is not an attack on the gay community. It is not bias against a gay or lesbian lifestyle. It does not discriminate against or take any rights away from gays or lesbians. Under California law, “domestic partners shall have the same rights, protections, and benefits” as married spouses. Prop 8 simply reaffirms traditional marriage between a man and a woman. It preserves marriage and the traditional family. There are gays and lesbians in support of Prop 8. Why? Perhaps because they were raised in a home with a loving mother and a loving father and realize the importance of a traditional family. It takes a man and a woman to make a child. It makes sense that the ideal situation for children is to be raised by a father and a mother. Although death, divorce, or other circumstances sometimes prevent this, studies show it’s what is best for children. Please join me in considering the rights of children and what is best for them. Please vote yes on Proposition 8.



My friend, Jennifer McLeod, wrote this to the editor of our local paper. It got published, and she is receiving a lot of horrible backlash. I don't want to go into that, but suffice it to say that total strangers opposed to her view were vicious.

This is what brings out the pitbull in me, and why I'm bringin' politics into my blog.



After Election Edit: YAY!!! Prop 8 passed!!

After Election Edit: YAY!!! Prop 8 passed!!

After Election Edit: YAY!!! Prop 8 passed!!

4 comments:

Aprilyn said...

Apparently, tolerance only goes one way for these people. Cindy says her Prop 8 signs are being broken or stolen. Someone else sent me an email from a family member who attended the Oakland Temple amidst screaming protesters. The Oakland Temple Security had to stand guard at the gates. It's getting pretty bad out there. I just wish there was something I can do!! I will keep this on my blog. I just posted about it a few days ago but I will post your friend's letter soon.
I will keep praying the Proposition 8 will pass.

Cindy Price said...

Thanks for the post, Susie. I just want to add my, Amen!!

Kari said...

Oh, it makes me so sad that Jen McLeod, one of the very nicest people on the planet, is getting the brunt of some people's intolerance. Thanks for that info.

mama jo said...

it's the intolerance that drives me nuts...if we could all just live in peace...