Friday, October 3, 2008

A "Lion Cut"

Want to see something funny?


Our long-haired orange tabby cat was needing a bath.

I know I certainly didn't want to attempt the washing because she is a psycho cat when she is being forced against her will.


I took her to the groomers today. The groomer suggested beforehand that we give her a "Lion Cut" to help her manage all that long, shedding hair. Sign me up!



This is what we took in to the groomer.



This is what came back!



My darling daughters are appalled and embarrassed. The cat seems humiliated.


I am happy.

Story #2...I had no idea you would comment about this sad-looking cat, so I am here to clear up some things.

I was raised to believe cats never needed baths unless they encountered a skunk....however...

In her 5-ish years of her life, she had only been to the vet once. We don't know what happened to her, but she got so sick and was having kidney failure. She recovered on her own, but has since become a 120 year old cat. I mention this tiny tale to explain that she (on top of being a little fat) is not nimble enough to reach around her with that tongue.

Although she is an indoor cat, we let her outside to wander the yard a few minutes at a time. She must be picking up stupid fleas, and the fleas always show up this time of year in hordes! Fleas = 'flea dirt'. Ick. I can't even believe I can post this... yet this explains another reason for giving a cat a "Lion Cut"!

I would imagine a more cooperative cat would have achieved a smoother trim---but not in my cat's case. She chose to be trouble and got punished for it. I don't care. She may choose to be a better customer next time -- if she wants a prettier 'do'.


James adores her. Which is weird, because he isn't really a 'pet' kind of person. As I type this, that cat is at his feet, pretending to sleep. Once in a while she will pry her eyes open enough to shoot daggers at me; but I know she will thank me later.


12 comments:

Aprilyn said...

Wow. I'm embarrassed for the cat too. At least they could have cut all the fur that length. Then it wouldn't have looked so bad! At least you are happy though.

Kari said...

Uh! I'm not sure what to think. I don't like cats. In fact, I loath them. But, on the other hand, poor poor cat. Is that how the haircut was suuposed to turn out?

mama jo said...

yea, i feel for your poor cat...is she roaring yet?

mama jo said...

yea, i feel for your poor cat...is she roaring yet?

Brandon, Christie, and Addie said...

I am with you Suz, I like the lion cut. Just tell the girls and the cat that hair does grow back!

Audrey said...

OOHHH I am laughing so hard. It looks like Grace gave her that haircut. Good thing it grows back, but it is worth a few giggles in the meantime.

Kari said...

This is my laugh-out-loud moment for the day. Thank you so much!

I say, if it's an outdoor cat, you have to do SOMEthing. They can't manage keeping all that hair clean with only their little tongues.

Marilee said...

I had no idea that cats got haircuts. wow! I'm not sure what to think either. Why did she need a bath? Don't cats clean themselves? Are country cats and city cats different? I thought a cat was a cat was a cat.......

Layton Gals said...

Ok you said lion cut and I had horror pictures of my neighbor's cat. I wish I had taken pictures of it because it was way worse than this. they left the tip of the tail and the head "mane" very long. Then the cat was shaved to the skin so that indeed it looked like a cat trying to be a lion. I have little sympathy for your cat though. Our stupid dog is so bad that he is no longer welcomed at the groomers cause they can only get half done with him so I am forced to be his groomer and that means he looks so bad cause I do not have the skills. He is currently 5 different lengths all over his body. Tell your darling kitty to be greatful for not being my dog or my neighbors lion.

Marilee said...

Thanks for the cat update. I understand more about the need for a lion cut. Is she really 120? Wow! If she is that old she can do anything she wants, you go girl!

Boy has this post been a popular one for comments, funny ones at that!!!

Raquel said...

So funny. I can't wait for next flea season to see the results. FUNNNNNY!

Tami Sue said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! :D