Saturday, August 9, 2008

Amanda's Summer Love

Well, if you were thinking a HUMAN love, then you'd be wrong. Our sweet Amanda turned 14 and the only item on her gift list was a turtle. Ugh.

Even after a kind pet salesman discouraged her from the turtle due to lots of maintenance, she was not deterred altogether. She had her eye on a tortoise. Rumor had it that they practically take care of themselves!

I was a little more practical.

Me: Do you realize you need to feed it a couple of times a day?

Her: Yep.

Me: ...and let it run around safely in the yard?

Her: I know.


Me: This kind of tortoise lives 50+ years! Do you have plans for taking care of it that long?


Her: Yeah. When I go to college, Brielle will have it. After she goes to college, Jenna will have it.

Me: .........that is only
10 years, ya know.....

Well, we brought the little guy/girl home and put it in a large storage tote. Apparently, the tote's sides are not tall enough. Our little Ninja Tortoise escapes. OFTEN. James built a little pen out of chicken wire, but it has escaped that also.

We are sure ninja skills were used. No one has seen the escape yet.

As with all pets and children, the love-fest is quickly over. Amanda has had the critter for about 3 weeks. It's going to be a long 50 years for all of us involved.

The video below shows a very slow tortoise. Don't let the little guy fool you. He sprints when he wants!

7 comments:

Tami Sue said...

hee hee hee "ninja skills". Maybe you should name him "Houdini". ;)

Kari said...

GREAT video! That is SOOOOOOOO cool! Maybe you can rotate him around to other family members, the last 40 years of his life...?

Audrey said...

50 years? wow! May I suggest a goldfish?

Cindy Price said...

What fun!! Is he/she going to get big. When I think tortoise I think big!!

Kelli Radmall said...

That is a looong commitment! This reminds me of a story... When I was 15 all I wanted for my birthday was a pet rat. Since that was the only thing I asked for I figured I would get it. To my surprise I got a cute fluffy little kitten (which I DIDNT want). My mom said she went to get a rat but just couldn't do it-and she couldn't leave the darling kitten behind. I "gave" the cat to my brother after a few years and poor old dusty still lives at my parents. Is 11 years old for a cat?

Marilee said...

Can you cuddle a tortise?

Kari said...

OK, Susan! It's been awhile and school has started again. What's up?? :)