Monday, September 17, 2007

Anniversary Tag


Well, its not my anniversary, but it is my friend Jolynn's anniversary. She is such a beautiful bride, and I just couldn't let this hottie down....so here is my info...

Where did you meet your husband?
James and I met the first night I was in California after I had accepted a job in Van Nuys. He sort of stalked me when he saw me in a room of married people. I was with my younger brother, but I think James was hoping we were single people. James followed us out the door and invited us to his Single's Ward the next day.

First date?
We didn't really "date" as much as I was just mooching rides off of him and others. James invited me to go to the Los Angeles temple 2 weeks after we met. We went there often together.

Where was the first kiss?
It was in the entryway of the house I was renting in Sepulveda.

Was the courtship long/short?
We dated for about 3 months before he proposed. Like my friend Marilee, I was mostly shocked that I said Yes because most of my relationships until then were about 3-6 months and then I ran out of the relationship. We were engaged for 3 months before the wedding day. For those bad at math--about 6 months total of courtship!

Where did you get engaged?
On the grounds of the L.A. temple.

Where did you get married?
Gosh--this is quite the theme! The L.A. temple, of course! It was a typical June-Gloom kind of day...hazy until about 3 pm. The wedding photos were taken during the hazy portion of the day of course.

How did the reception go?
Oh--I pretty much wish I could go back in time and re-do the entire day! I'm going to be a bit of a brat for a moment, so you can just skip this paragraph if you hate whiners; I was very bummed that I couldn't afford a gorgeous reception hall. We settled for the inexpensive Stake Center (gym) and I was sad that my reception was going to have basketball hoops as decorations. *sigh* As it turned out, our group of out-of-state family was running late for set-up and so James and I got to the Stake Center first. We were about 1 1/2 hours late and the custodian had gone home. The basketball hoops were not even retracted. *hysterical crying* James got the insensitive guy on the phone and told him to get his *tushy* back to the church because we needed him to set stuff up with us. *nervous break-down in an empty room* Family members start showing up, and I found my makeup bag and started reapplying. I was not a pretty bride! *blech* The highlight, besides the guests, was that we were able to move the reception line to an inner courtyard (outside) that had a wall of blooming gardenias for our backdrop. To this day I just adore gardenias. On a happier note, my bratty side was under control a month later for our Utah reception. It was held at Sil's Restaurant (on the BYU diagonal in Provo) with such a beautiful garden area surrounding us, and the food and decorations were taken care of by Sil's. *glowing bride*

How was the honeymoon?
I think it was wonderful. It started out just a little weird when we had to have James' dad drive us to the airport after our first night together. We went to Disneyworld/Epcot in Orlando. We had a beautiful hotel suite thanks to my perks as a travel agent at the time. James will never forget how stupid I was to freeze a Lemonade Bar to the back of my tongue at MGM Studios (when the guy selling the frozen pops warns you, "Be careful, they are frozen!", you had better not mock him nor stick the pop next to your tonsils because you won't have any flesh on your tongue for a week).

4 comments:

mama jo said...

that's a fun story, even with some mishaps...it all works out in the end...and you do like a beautiful bride..

Kairle Oaks said...

Oh, my! Look at that BIG HAIR! lol! I forgot what a beautiful bride you were.

BTW...Who's that kid standing next to you?! lol!

Marilee said...

What a fun pic of you guys. Your theme was the LA Temple, mine was "the apartment". Fun story, I wish Audrey would hurry up with her "tag"...

Audrey said...

ok. I can't stand it. Your story and picture is soooo great. I will now go post. Who is that deacon-aged guy you married? You guys are still as cute today!