Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hidden Treasures

While packing away Christmas, I finally decided to purge a space-wasting box labeled 'Hall Closet'. I knew this was from our last house--and junk was probably tossed inside, just waiting to spill out into the new home. Since I'm The Queen of Delayed Decisions (thanks for the title, Sweetie), I figured I'd tackle the box once and for all. I'm happy I did. Many "lost" photos were hiding inside. Here are a few I'll share for now. But stay tuned, because those Greens sure were shutterbugs!


<-- Baby James


What a handsome family!

This photo dates back to March '82. James (the youngest, far left) is a senior in High School. I feel obliged to Marian to remember there was always another son born to the family; however, little Thomas only survived about a week. Big brother Steven was about 2 years old at the time. Paul (James' dad) remembers little Steven giving gentle pats on the back to those who would pick him up at that sad time. Perhaps he knew all the big people needed a little reassurance? Sweet story. To this day, any birthday calendar given to Marian is quickly scanned for Tommy's birthday. I made the mistake only once! :)


Another photo from April '65. I honestly thought the leather tether with baby James was a leash for him. He quickly informed me it is a strap for the binoculars. He sheepishly admitted his father has since given them to us. James hates to admit he has his father's cast-offs. The rest of us call those things 'heirlooms'.

8 comments:

Marilee said...

I LOVE your post! What great pictures from way back when. When I try and figure out how to convert some of my scanned photos to JPG, have I got some photos t post. Think twin.

I think Monica is James, hands down.

Kari said...

WOW! What a great blast from the past! Our family has a group photo just like the '82 one--I think that background and pose were the in things...

Andrea said...

que legal!!

Susan, Susie, Suz said...

Agreed Marilee! My infant Monica was dubbed Baby James by the youth of that ward. Hands down, she got her daddy's baby looks.

Cindy Price said...

i love old pictures!! What a cute baby!!
My husband had a brother who died as a little boy and his mother never talks about him. It's so sad to me. I think Marian has the right idea!!!

Aprilyn said...

SUSIE!!! Those are really cute pictures. I love old pictures. That cracks me up about the binoculars. Silly James.

Audrey said...

Oh these are fabulous!! There is no doubt that Monica is of his seed. Where is the box of your baby photos? Maybe next Christmas?

Karl and Cheryl said...

I love the gingham collar and the pony on the front, he was stylin’ even back in the day!